Research Assistant/Research Associate/Academic Advisor - Dean's Office - SBASSE
This job is no longer accepting applications.
The Dean’s Office at Syed Babar Ali School of Science & Engineering (SBASSE) oversees the academic and administrative functioning of the school. This includes academic advising of students which is delivered through faculty advisers, staff advisers, peer advisers as well as dissemination of information through emails and group sessions. The RA will be involved in the academic advising stream of the Dean’s office which will involve engaging directly with students as well as designing and implementing initiatives to further advising at SBASSE.
I. Leadership and Program Development:
- Identify advising-needs of students and advising-gaps of the system at SBASSE through evaluation of current practices, stakeholder input, benchmarking best-practices, and support from Office of Academic Advising, etc.;
- Collaborate with stakeholders to create policies, processes and programming related to staff advising, peer advising and faculty advising at SBASSE;
- Ensure that university-wide standards for advising are customized for SBASSE and effectively implemented;
- Monitor advising initiatives to identify changes that will improve retention, degree-completion, and student success;
- Support peer advising through recruitment, selection, training, supervision and evaluation of peer advisers;
- Support faculty advising by suggesting improvements to the faculty advising system, serving as a resource to departments/faculty advisers, and coordinating with individual faculty on specific student cases;
- Stay up-to-date about departmental, school and university policies (e.g. graduation requirements, school transfers, petitions, etc.);
- Ensure that the student-body is well-informed about relevant deadlines, procedures and policies;
- Plan and implement group advising sessions on various topics (e.g. major selections, graduate schools, etc.);
- Advise students one-on-one regarding academic and curricular topics (e.g. guiding course selection, elective recommendations; explaining academic policies; referring students to specialized counseling sources and/or to faculty, and more). Maintain accurate records of all student interactions;
- Support retention efforts for students who are identified as academically "at risk";
- Assist students with the completion of forms/documents (e.g. grade changes, curriculum changes, petitions, etc.), and inform them of pertinent procedures and requirements;
- Maintain confidential academic files on students in the program ensuring integrity, accuracy, and consistency for decision making and future reference;
- Support advising unit during important timelines (e.g. enrolment phase, etc.);
III. Coordination and Administration:
- Develop and sustain relationships with internal and external partners, specifically other schools and administrative departments at LUMS. Interface with SBASSE departments and the offices of Student Affairs, Financial Aid, National Outreach Program, RO, Accessibility and Inclusion, CAPS and other units for student cases;
- Develop and document systems to facilitate capacity building of advising unit and departmental succession;
- Extract and analyze data from Zambeel to provide support for decision making (e.g. review enrolment statistics, etc.);
- Support the development of operational/strategic reports to highlight the performance and achievements of the office;
- Maintain up-to-date reference documents such as university handbooks;
- Contribute to the general administration of the advising unit, as needed, including communications, documentation, records-management, recruiting, budgets, office space, compliance with university regulations, etc.;
Note: This is not an exhaustive list. Given that the office is relatively small, the RA is expected to participate at all levels of the office’s functioning (from basic administration to policy-setting leadership).
This is a contractual role until 30 June 2021 and may extend further if needed.
Essential: Bachelor's degree in a science or engineering discipline;
Desired: Master's degree (in any field) from a recognized foreign university would be a plus;
Essential: 1-3 years of work experience;
Desired: Experience working in a higher education context. Experience working with students in the sciences;
Knowledge, Skills & Attributes
- Proficiency in Excel, Graphical presentation of data, Basic data analytics;
- Commitment to supporting diverse populations and an ability to guide individuals toward future opportunities;
- Leadership, autonomous functioning, goal-setting;
- Ability to interact with stakeholders at multiple levels, both internally and externally;
- Willingness to learn and grow (both through self-learning and through feedback);
- Strong research skills. Excellent communication, presentation & writing skills;
- Creative problem-solving and initiative-taking qualities;
- Excellent interpersonal skills;
- Good administrative skills;
- A ‘can-do’ attitude and ability to work both autonomously and in a team;
- Attention to detail and commitment to excellence;
- Background in a relevant field (educational studies, psychology, public policy, etc.);
- Experience with data analysis;
- Familiarity with program-design and program-evaluation tools;
- Proficiency in statistical analysis;
Travel & Work Schedule
The position is based on the LUMS campus; at times travel to other cities may be required if necessary for SBASSE events organized by the Deans Office.
Work hours may extend into the evenings and weekends to accommodate deadlines or events. During the Covid-19 situation, you may be allowed to work from home, which will require you to create a suitable work environment for yourself (internet connectivity, an environment that supports your productivity at home per your own preferences and working style, setting your own work-hours, etc.)
Interested candidates should send their resume, transcripts, and cover letter to: email@example.com
Applicants may be asked to submit written samples.
Sunday, March 14, 2021
Note: “We are an equal employment opportunity employer”
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Lahore University of Management Sciences